Monday 28 September 2015

A FRIEND DEPARTED.



I use this blog for our life in France as a rule,
but I have to make an exception.

When still in the Navy, I was serving on the
committee at Dean Court Supporters Club,
and after an upheaval, became Chairman.

It was tough times for the club, being totally broke, and
nobody was being paid.
When on leave, I used to help around the club, and
Mick Cunningham worked in an office above us.
He did all the press work, as well as produce the
matchday magazine.

I would get in around 9am for brewery deliveries, and
Mick would already be at work, sorting through details for his 
next magazine.

We would spend the first hour or so talking
all things AFCB.

I think he had every press cutting going back to
the year dot.

Mick also produced the fanzine "Not the 8502" to which,
I contributed often.

Then somehow, Mick organised a group of
beer swilling football fans to play the odd
football game against opposition supporters.
One game was on Hackney Marshes against Orient fans.
The pitch was so far from the changing room that a taxi would have been in order to get the game going.

I slipped on a dog turd, then on returning to the changing room,
found there was no water.
I turned up at the main event that afternoon smelling awful.

There are many stories I can tell  about Mick and our
laughs and times together.

Sadly he was sacked as the programme editor by
Eddie Mitchell in 2013.
Disgusting treatment for a loyal servant.


He had a brain hemorrage whilst taking photos
at the Stoke V AFCB game, and died Sunday around 8am.

Just 55 years old. And a military man in the RAF, whom
he served 16 years.

God bless Mick, a true friend and gent.


No comments: