Sunday 18 March 2012

FRENCH COOKERY LESSON


Having been a Navy Chef for 24 years, I thought it was about time I gave you not so skilled in the kitchen the benefit of my experience.
About a year ago we dined out and I was introduced to "Briased Pigs Cheeks", a very French dish which I have now adapted to my own taste,
Pig cheeks are so succulent when braised, that they just melt in the mouth.

They are rarely found in the UK now, but a roasted version is called "Bath Chaps" in the west country.


I have called this dish "Cheeks and Leeks"
6 cheeks does for 2 people.
You need 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 1 onion, mushrooms all roughly chopped, and some grated fresh ginger and a crushed garlic clove.

Firstly you gently pat your cheeks dry. (Stop sniggering at the back)


Then fry your cheeks in a knob of butter with a dash of olive oil until your cheeks are brown all over. ( I said stop sniggering)


Remove your cheeks from the heat and place in a casserole dish.
Keep the fat you have fried your cheeks in, and saute all the vegetables until they are soft.
Add a little flour to make a roux, then add 1 teaspoon of paprika
Pour in some chicken stock and a glass of white wine.
Pour the mixture over your cheeks (Last warning. There is nothing smutty about the word cheeks.!!)


Cook in the oven at 160F for two hours, or until your your cheeks feel soft and tender.
(Right you..Face the wall and don't disturb the class again!)
Above I have served my cheeks with a butternut squash and mustard mash, and some peas from the garden last year.
There is nothing quite like sharing your cheeks with a friend.
(Get out, go stand in the corridor and stop bloody sniggering!)

I like to make a big double helping, so I can spread my cheeks over a couple of days.
Bon appetit!

No comments: